Monday, April 18, 2005

Static versus Dynamic a la Tom Peters

I'm a big Tom Peters fan...started with "A Passion for Excellence..." a long time ago...recently read "Re-imagine..."

I'm a regular visitor to his site and, although I'm starting to have some concerns with the content and focus, read most of his stuff...

I have never personally seen Tom speak, but I do look at his event slides...
Eye-catching- if you think ugly is eye-catching...(I guess I'm trying to be polite...but let's try to focus (for once...) on content rather than format...) click thru some of the presentations and see what I mean...

Anywho...he has a slide about Static versus Dynamic...the implication is that, in Tom's world, Static is Bad,...and Dynamic is Good...which initially, I had no problem with...who wants to be considered "static" anyway...

Then I started looking at the qualities he had listed under each category...All of the stuff under Dynamic sounds great...no problem with any of that...see below

Dynamic/ Different

Dramatic Difference
Disruptive
Insanely Great (Quality++++)
Life- (Industry-) Changing Event
Game-changing
WOW!
Surprise
Delight
Breathtaking
Punctuated Equilibrium
Market Creation


We should all be striving every day to achieve every item listed under Static...the supposedly "Bad" category...see below

Static/ Imitative

Integrity
Quality
Excellence
Continuous Improvement
Superior Service (exceeds expectations)
Completely Satisfactory Transaction
Smooth Evolution
Market Share



If that is what it means to be "Static"...sign me up!!!

No comments: